doxologue

conversing about, and calling for, God-centered worship in the local church

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Serving Assorted Preferences and Future Generations in Our Songwriting

On Worship Matters, Bob Kauflin posts Reviewing Awesome God Children's CD Reviews. Near the end, he quotes one reviewer's critique of their musical style:

While it is true that there are many different 'tastes' in music, I cannot but think that there are some elements of the way an instrument is played that accentuate the fleshly nature of our fallen self. What do I mean? Well it is fairly obvious that romantic music is designed to create a certain 'mood' in the listener. Other music such as heavy metal causes the listener to feel intensely powerful and invincible.

Bob posts his reply:

Our understanding of how music works in worshipping God is probably more similar than you'd think. We, too, never want the music to overpower the lyrics, but rather serve them. Probably the main area we see things differently is what music "causes" us to do. Music moves us emotionally, but there is a powerful associative effect that can be trained and/or changed. Heavy music doesn't automatically cause someone to "feel intensely powerful and invincible," although that kind of music is often used to voice those attitudes.

I like Bob's last line, "that kind of music is often used to voice those attitudes." That is a good summary of how I feel the music should serve the text. Music should allow us to express the attitude of the text. When I sing Martin Luther’s “A Mighty Fortress is Our God,” I do feel invincible, as I should. The song text teaches me that because of who God is for me in Christ and his Kingdom, I can let everything go and yet suffer no ultimate harm. I should feel invincible, because my God is a mighty fortress and I am in Him. That “feeling” is the proper result of this right theological perception. The tune must help me express that “feeling.” In this case, a “soft” tune would do violence to the text. Luther’s tune complements his text so that, by the end of the fourth verse, I am ready to charge into hell exclaiming, “Do your worst! God has willed his truth to triumph through me; His kingdom is forever!”

Luther’s tune was not designed mindlessly, as notes thrown on a page simply so a text could be sung in obedience to the command to sing. The tune was “designed to create a certain ‘mood’ in the listener.” Is this wrong? No, it is absolutely right. It is right, because mood created by the tune is appropriate to the mood demanded by the text.

Would it ever be wrong to use music to create a mood? Certainly. It would be wrong when there is no substance to the text. If the “mood” is all there is, with no understood theological truth producing the mood in our souls, then it would be wrong. It would also be wrong if the “mood” affirmed something theologically false or celebrated something sinful. (For example, the heavy metal classic “Highway to Hell” makes the listener feel invincible as they celebrate the fact that they are on a highway to hell. Certainly, this is not how our depravity should make us feel.) Bob goes on in his response to write:

Having said that, we aren't married to a particular style, and encourage singing songs in different ways, to reinforce the principle that there is no music that God prefers above all others. Rather, it's our job to use music wisely and responsibly, and to find ways to glorify God in various genres, rather than just a few.

He concludes:
We have no illusions that we’ll ever produce a project that will be acceptable to every musical preference or theological perspective. But in the mean time, we’ll continue to seek to write and promote music that will serve churches and parents in proclaiming the glories of God and the Savior to future generations.
I appreciate these comments. I think it is healthy to vary in our styles and to “encourage singing songs in different ways.” I also appreciate the desire to “serve churches and parents in proclaiming the glories of God and the Savior to future generations.” I think it is important to write for the coming generations, as well as for our own.

One of ways that I like to “encourage singings songs in different ways” and to serve future generations is by writing texts in standard meters. I have a heart for “traditional churches” and for my own generation. They often like different styles. Yet, they should be embracing the same God and the same theology. I would like them to sing (at least some of) the same texts.

Writing in standard meters allows for singing of texts in a variety of styles. This way, David may compose a modern tune (and sometimes make needed metrical adjustments), yet a more “traditional” church can chose a well-known tune of appropriate meter to set it to, if they so prefer.

I’m not proposing that all songs should be written in meter. I’ve written in irregular meter and will continue to do so. Some of my favorite songs are in irregular meter. Yet, I wonder if some quality texts are so tied to their contemporary tunes that the text will be lost when the tune goes out of style. I believe the church would profit from more metered songs. Might disciplining ourselves with meter not only result in more texts that are poetically artistic but also help to preserve them for the coming generations? Might such discipline make our texts more useful to the assortment of musical tastes in the body of Christ?

2 Comments:

  • At 4:51 PM, Blogger Peter Schott said…

    Awesome thoughts on how music can be used to set the mood and how it should be used in worship. I like how you comment that "A Mighty Fortress Is Our God" has a melody that makes us feel invincible. The same can be said for a lot of the songs we will sing this Sunday as we celebrate the resurrection of our Lord. The joy that wells up singing some of the great hymns celebrating the fact that Jesus is alive overwhelms me on Easter, especially, but whenever I really think about what God has done for us through that sacrifice.

    The same can be said of a lot of others - "Lord of the Dance" (the hymn, not SCC's song) has a lot of meaning and power in the simple melody behind it. When I think of a song like "Arise, My Love" as well (which my wife will start blasting shortly after she awakes on Easter per tradition), it has quite a bit of power. I think I'll listen to that before heading out now that I think about it.

    To add to this, I seem to remember someone commenting that if he were given control over a nation's music, he could control the nation within a generation. How true that is that some music can speak to our souls and even touch our emotions. Put the right words with that music and you have a really powerful medium to touch lives for good or bad.

    -Pete

     
  • At 9:59 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I was reading Bob's Kauflin's blog, and found a recommendation to your site. I agree with you and Bob that the music should serve to enhance the text. The music should be the slave, the lyric the master. But I just wanted to highlight a historical factoid. The original "Ein' Feste Burg" (AKA, "A Mighty Fortress") was actually quite light and dancy, not militant. It was a Renaissance tune that we would probably never use in worship today. You can hear it here:
    http://www.smithcreekmusic.com/Hymnology/Lutheran.Hymnody/Rhythmic_Isorhythmic.html
    So I am not sure that "A Mighty Fortress" would be a good example, given it's alternate, original arrangement. However, I do think another point could still be made using this great hymn. The point is that this hymn, because it was driven by a great text, demanded to be remembered through the centuries. So, as Bob said at a conference here in Knoxville recently, the music should be good, but the lyrics should be better. Secondly, the song has morphed melodically and rhythmically as it travelled through history. I think this is a sign of life in the church - allowing change. (Dead churches won't change. Just look at the many cold cathedral shells that used to be thriving places of worship in our homeland across the the puddle.) We should allow for worship music to breathe stylistically with time while still fulfilling the strong pedagogical purpose it is designed to serve in the church. I find it comforting that the power of music's influence on worshippers is nothing new...it is no new struggle. “Augustine’s struggle with the melodious singing of the psalm reflects the fact that during his lifetime the liturgical function of the “psalm” was being transformed.” (William T. Flynn, “Liturgical Music”, The Oxford History of Christian Worship) Even Augustine was dealing with musical changes.

    Well, enough already. Keep up the good work. I'll be checking in regularly.

    Your friend,
    West

     

Post a Comment

<< Home