doxologue

conversing about, and calling for, God-centered worship in the local church

Thursday, April 06, 2006

"God is my girlfriend" or Reflection of the Psalms?: Kevin

Although it's doubtful I'll be using "Draw Me Close to You" in the near future (we use tons of Indelible Grace, Getty, and Sovereign Grace), I think it's dangerous to make the kind of statements Colson makes. First, how dare we have requirements for song lyrics that the Psalmist himself couldn't stack up to! Second, to make mention of specific songs, in the manner Colson did, by no means reflects the love of Christ that should bind His people together.
Simplistic proclamations deeming some songs as shallow and some not are not helpful. Regarding simple love songs, often the how is as important as the what. If we're stringing together scores of sentimental, shallow songs to form a complete worship service, that's not wise. Imagine if you just talked in sappy, baby speech to your wife all the time. Using a simple song in the context of several theologically rich songs, however, can be quite moving. For example, Chris Tomlin's "How Great Is Our God" is a simple, yet God-centered, song. Placed at the end of a song service, perhaps following "How Great Thou Art," results in a moving, fitting response to God's greatness.
Colson is right that much of evangelicalism sings baby talk to God in her songs. He is wrong to say that there is never an appropriate time to express simple praise to our Lord.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:09 AM, Blogger HeavyDluxe said…

    I first caught wind of this whole thing over here. I think you and I, Kevin, are in the much the same place.

    My previous church sang "Draw Me Close to You" often. And, as someone who advocates for a more theologically informed worship, it never really grabbed me. We moved and now I've been leading worship at our 'new' church for several years. I can honestly say that we've never sung that song once.

    That said, when I pray I don't just pray like systematic theology text. Nor do I sound like the psalmists or a great hymn writer. There are those times, for sure, and they're important.

    But so are the simple, heartfelt cries to God that often come.

    I believe they can sometimes be part of our corporate worship, as well. We must elevate the minds and hearts of the congregants toward heaven, but that language can be varied. The balance should tip strongly in favor of meat, but a little milk is valid. Glad I stopped by your blog.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home