doxologue

conversing about, and calling for, God-centered worship in the local church

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Neglected Song Themes - The Persecuted Church

When taking Hymnology class in seminary, Dr. Crookshank challenged us to write hymns on themes that are neglected in most hymnals. Since the role of suffering has always been on my heart, I decided to begin composing hymns on the subject. This was the impetus behind Songs for Suffering Saints.

Beginning this evening, I plan to post a hymn a day on a neglected topic that, while neglected by hymnody (at least, in my humble opinion), has biblical president for being to topic of the church's song. Tonight's hymn is on the persecuted church. To follow will be hymns on suffering (in general), lament over the condition of God's church, and hell.

Over at An Infant in a Cradle, I've been blogging on the arrest of Abdul Rahman (see here and here) and events such as North Korean Freedom Week. With the persecuted church weighing heavy on my mind, I want to sing about it. The second verse of this simple hymn has been on my mind.

Let Me Be a Blessing

Let me be a blessing
To my suff’ring friends,
Sharing in their burdens
Even to the end.
In the midst of trials
And their darkest fears,
Let me be a comfort,
Sharing in their tears.

Since we are one body,
Let me not neglect
To stand with the Christians
Whom the world rejects.
As they are ill-treated,
Wearing martyrs’ chains,
In my pray’r and fasting
Let me share their pain.

From the truths of Scripture
Let me learn to paint
Hope-inspiring portraits
For the suff’ring saint.
Let me point the suff’rer
To the glorious day
When our tears and anguish
Shall be swept away.

Text: © Eric Schumacher (b. 1976)
Suggested Tune: WYE VALLEY (abridged), James Mountain (1844-1933)

For another example of a hymn for the persecuted church, see For Your Sake All Day Long.

Kevin and David, what themes and topics do you think we need more songs on?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home