doxologue

conversing about, and calling for, God-centered worship in the local church

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Kevin's Doxa-biography

I grew up in and out of church in Drexel, Missouri. When our family was there, I recollect hearing the big American hymns most of you out there have heard of. However, my memory fails me as to which ones I actually learned.

In college at the University of Missouri, I began to be exposed to the praise and worship movement. While a part of a campus ministry in the early nineties, we sang a wide variety of praise choruses. It was during my senior year that I picked up the guitar again (had been burned out from playing for my sister in country music shows as a child, believe it or not) and began learning worship songs.

Following college, I did an internship with a campus ministry in Springfield, Missouri. There I became exposed to more praise and worship songs. I simultaneously became involved in a local church. Over the course of 7 years, I led worship with the campus ministry and played in the church worship band, largely doing praise and worship choruses interspersed with a few widely known traditional hymns.

I moved to Louisville in 2001 to attend Southern Seminary. There I became involved in Clifton Baptist Church, where Carl "Chip" Stam is the worship leader. I also took his "Worshipping Church" class. Chip turned me on to...

1) Modern, rich hymns: yes, people are writing God-centered songs today
2) Old, great hymns: yes, many of those old songs are actually good
3) Thoughtful service planning: no, the word "liturgy" is not a bad word

Thanks to my time at Clifton and with Chip, now I plan, by God's grace, worship gatherings that reflect the gospel of Christ in their very format. I default primarily to theologically rich hymns, modern or ancient. I love Indelible Grace, Sovereign Grace, Keith Getty, Stuart Townend, etc. I have taken this new appreciation gleaned from Clifton, have wedded it to my experience in worship teams, and have ended up with a worship style that is perhaps best deemed "God-centered with an edge." I have written probably 20 worship songs. I only think perhaps 2 of them are worth sharing.

However, my study in the sphere of worship is fairly extensive. It is, along with ecclesiology, my key interest area. I have preached sermon series on the topic. I have read countless books and articles about worship. In addition, I still participate in leading worship from time to time, and I plan to continue participating in our church's team, even while serving as preaching elder.

One man I look to as an example, other than Chip, is Mark Altrogge-- a senior pastor who also is used by the Lord to give the church God-centered, gospel-focused worship music. I hope to dabble in songwriting as a pastor, as well. Soli deo gloria!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home